Palladium was founded in 1920 to develop tires for the fledgling aviation industry. The tires were made by layering canvas bands underneath vulcanized rubber. Palladium's expertise was so advanced that soon the majority of Europe's aircraft were using Palladium tires however after World War II, with aircraft manufacturing screeching to a halt, the demand for tires decreased dramatically. Palladium decided to open a plant in Pont De Cheruy, France, to start producing footwear that was as hard wearing as their tires and in 1947 the legendary Pampa boot was born, and the functionality, comfort and durability were so outstanding that the French Foreign Legion adopted it for their use. The Foreign Legion put the boot to the test in the harsh desert conditions of North Africa, and throughout the rugged terrain of the Atlas Mountains where it proved itself ten times over.